Monday, April 28, 2014

Weekend Recap: I passed the NCE!!!

This was a momentous weekend for me: I passed the National Counselor Examination (NCE)!!!!!

Normal people take the NCE as soon as they graduate from grad school, while the information is still fresh in their minds. I chose to wait 5 1/2 years.

When I was in school I used to never worry about tests; I'd study and generally do pretty well. This time, I was so nervous! I studied a lot (for me) with books, CDs, and flashcards. 

I took the test on Saturday afternoon at an H&R Block (weird). After almost 3 hours I was finished, but I was afraid to click the submit button. I both did and didn't want to know the results. Failing would have meant $200 wasted, embarrassment (because I told every human being I knew about the test), and then a decision on whether to take the test again or give up my pursuit of becoming an LPC. 

When I finally got up the nerve to click submit and leave the testing room, I walked into the lobby and the administrator casually mentioned that my results were on the printer. I grabbed the piece of paper, went out the door, and spent the next few minutes entranced. It took me about a while to find the spot that actually said "PASS". I felt such relief and the first thing I did when I got in the car was listen to real music (no more Rosenthal CDs)!!!

Later that evening, I went to out to celebrate with family and friends. We had dinner at Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen and then a few friends and I went out for drinks in downtown. I am so thankful for supportive friends and family who committed to praying for me and sent me encouraging texts, assuring me I'd pass. 

Passing the NCE means I now get to apply for my LPC-I (which includes jumping through several more hoops), but for now, I am just enjoying the immense relief that has come from passing the NCE!!!

Friends and my mom outside Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen. 
Laughing with Kristen at The Pastry War
Drinking a celebratory champagne cocktail with Ashley at Goro and Gun.

No comments: