Monday, October 13, 2014

Weekend Recap: pasta, shopping, and haircuts


This was a delightful weekend, but unfortunately I did not take many pictures. So, my words will have to do. 

Friday I said good bye to the sweet and wild kitty babies and my time as their caretaker came to an end (aka their parents came home from their honeymoon). But Arrow left me with this lasting image of her fetch toy in bed. So much humor.

Friday evening I cooked one of my signatures dishes for Michael. You know those things that you cook when you're alone, that you love, that are simple and easy? This is the type of thing I make for myself all the time and would typically eat it 3-4 times in a week, for lunches or dinners. Michael and I decided we wanted a quiet night at home and this was basically the only thing I had to make, so that's how he became introduced to one of my "signature" dishes. I'm not sure how big of a fan he was (at least of the snap peas). What is this much lauded dish? I just call it Lemon Pasta with Goat Cheese....and that's basically what it is. 

Lemon Pasta with Goat Cheese
Pasta (any shape works, but I usually do short, compact shapes), boiled to al dente
Snap peas (or really any green veggie)
1 small lemon (or to taste)
Goat cheese (or feta or Parmesan)
Olive oil or butter
Salt and pepper
Chicken or shrimp (if you want)

You just mix all that together, to taste. No measurements really. It's tart, tangy, and super delicious. And versatile! Lovely with wine. 

Other than eating, we just talked. We tend to do that. We have intentions of watching a show or movie or something and then we just talk for hours. Which is nice, nice, nice.

Saturday morning I attended a former HBU student and now HBU coworker's wedding. Then I drove home to Clear Lake to spend the day with my mom. We had lunch at Salata - I will do a Yelp review about this, but it was surprisingly delicious! I had a super yummy salad wrapped in a tortilla - it was healthy, light, and very tasty. Then we went right next door to the nail salon to get manicures and pedicures. So convenient. 

After our nails we got seasonal ice cream (I had Halloween Oreo) and then we went shopping at the nearby outlet malls. It's my birthday next weekend, so I'm getting all prettied up (hair, nails, new clothes, etc.). 

I found so much great stuff at the Old Navy Outlet! Including this t-shirt that says "Lovely"...


Sunday I had brunch with Kristen at Harry's and then got my hair done. I intended to get about 3 inches trimmed and ended up getting I don't know how much CHOPPED off. It's so much shorter than I imagined! But it feels good, lighter, healthier, and will be easier to blow dry. It's just weird when you're used to longer hair.

I spent the rest of Sunday evening with my sweet man. I feel obnoxious saying that....but I think it's because I've rarely had the opportunity to enjoy the company of a truly sweet man. And it's just factual: he's sweet, kind, and thoughtful and he's a man! 

I hope all my friends and family had nice weekends as well!

No comments: