Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Weekend Recap - Mistaking Clouds for Mountains

This weekend felt like it had the theme of music. I went to 2 really fun (and really different) concerts. It started on Friday night with an Andrew Bird concert at House of Blues with a few friends. I've just recently gotten in to Andrew Bird and the concert was really good. Before the concert we went to Kenneally's Irish Pub for pizza. From multiple places we had heard the pizza there was supposed to be some of the best in Houston. It was good. Really thin, almost like a cracker, but good.

Saturday morning I went to breakfast and spent some time with K before he left for a work conference out of state. I was kind of sad to say good bye to him. He's only gone for 5 days, but for some reason that feels like a really long time to me right now. We had breakfast at La Guadalupana Bakery and Cafe, which is on my List of places I want to go in Houston. We both had their breakfast tacos and they were pretty tasty and affordable. My favorite part of the meal was the cinnamon coffee - so delicious! One kind of gross part of the experience was that K found a piece of hair in the ice in his orange juice! Seriously disgusting and kind of put a damper on the meal, but I will try to not hold it against them.

Around lunch time on Saturday my mom came over and we did some shopping in the Houston Galleria. My 30th birthday is coming up in less than a week and I got it into my head that I needed a new outfit for every birthday event (work on my birthday, dinner on my birthday, brunch with my friends the day after my birthday, dinner with K the day after my birthday, etc.). Shopping is so much more time consuming than I always think it will be. In my opinion shopping should be classified as a sport: it takes endurance, strategy, and aggression. Maybe that's why I'm not the biggest shopper, but I did  find some great things on Saturday. And had lots of fun with my mom. We had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory where we shared our entire meal - which is such a good idea, you get to eat lots of fun stuff without being too full or eating as many calories as you might have. We split a macaroni and cheese burger - it had a fried macaroni and cheese ball on top and was covered in cheese sauce and a piece of seasonal pumpkin cheesecake. So, so good.

Saturday evening I went with some of my students to hear CANTARE Houston perform From an English Cathedral at St. Martin's Episcopal Church. It was amazing! During one particular song, I closed my eyes and lost all sense of where I was. When I opened my eyes I felt completely refreshed, like I had just had a massage at a spa! I couldn't believe it. That music was powerful stuff.

Sunday was when I missed K the most over the weekend. We have a tradition of going to church together that I really enjoy and think I might be becoming attached to. I was very tired from the previous day, just didn't feel like going to church, and didn't have K to encourage me. Add to that scenario that my roommate was also not feeling the church scene and together we talked each other into going to brunch instead. Which turned out to be an excellent decision. We went to Baba Yega (another place on my List) and had their somewhat expensive brunch buffet. I don't even normally like brunch buffets, but this was outstanding. Plus $2 mimosas and nice (low-humidity) weather on the patio.


After brunch I went to visit my parents. While there I also made the Cake Mix Pumpkin Cookies from last fall for my students and Ruth Reichl's Pumpkin Pancakes. I adore Ruth Reichl and will read anything she writes and make any recipe she suggests. These pancakes had a divine texture - so velvety and luxurious, but they tasted much more of orange than of pumpkin. If I made these pancakes again, I would omit the orange zest.

Sunday night I watched the sad Texans game with my family (I know, who am I?!). I feel silly commenting on that further because I don't know what I'm talking about. I will say that I find a morbid pleasure in reading people's extremely annoying Facebook updates during the game. Suddenly, everyone's an expert on professional football. Drives me crazy.

Anyway, that was a wonderful Last Weekend in my Twenties. Eeek! Honestly, I'm somewhat thrilled to be leaving my twenties. They were good to me, I learned a lot (I think I'll do a separate post on this subject), but I love who I am now so much more than I did for most of my twenties. I believe decades of our lives are mostly psychological anyway, but I am looking forward to living into a new decade, with the knowledge and confidence I have now.

Have a wonderful week! 

No comments: