Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Monday Night Football

It's no surprise to my friends and family that I have never been a huge fan of football. Growing up I remember my parents mainly watching the Houston Oilers and the Texas Aggies. Once the Oilers left Houston, it seemed like most of my family's enthusiasm for football left as well. In high school I thought football was stupid, in college my university didn't have a team (that's changed), in grad school I was supremely (and good-naturedly?) annoyed by all my new friends from the southeast and their love for "Roll Tide", "Go Vols", Clemson, etc. When the Texans came to Houston I wasn't all that interested or impressed. Plus, they were awful at first. But now the Texans have improved and the whole city seems to have a new or strengthened affinity for them...which makes sense. 

When I met K, one of the first things he told me about was his love for the Texans. In general, my deep and irrational love for this city lends me to support any team from Houston. And I like it when someone is passionate about almost anything (almost). Passion can be such a good quality. And happiness is definitely a good quality. If something like football (or any sport) makes someone happy...I can support that. 


Last night I was especially glad that I have developed an enthusiasm (or at least an interest) in the Texans because K took me with him to Celebrity Waiter Night featuring Texans players and benefiting a local charity. I was very lucky to have an opportunity to attend this event because it was so much fun! Del Frisco's is in the Houston Galleria and it's kind of fancy, with a pretty view of Houston. It was really crowded and kind of difficult to walk around. There was also an open bar and the specialty drink of the night was a martini made with orange rum that had been soaking in pineapple for 14 days (or something like that) - it was so delicious! Before dinner there was a silent auction going on and during dinner there was a live auction. People were bidding upwards of $4,000 for one jersey. Dinner was really good: there were lots of hors d'oeuvres, salad, steak, asparagus, mashed potatoes, bread, and cheesecake with strawberries and coffee(!). It was all really good. Not to mention that the players were walking around, signing autographs, and shaking hands. I could only really tell that they were on the team because of their size. We also sat with a really nice couple that I enjoyed meeting. 

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the evening. I was kind of nervous and I'm not the best at remembering to take pictures anyway, but if I had it to do over again I would have snapped a few...at least of the food :). When I got home, I did take a (very blurry) picture of my souvenir: an autographed Texans football. 


No comments: