Monday, September 24, 2012

Weekend Recap

If this past weekend had a theme, it would have been Sweet and Sour

The Sweet Part of the Weekend: 

Friday afternoon I was upset about something (ok, that's a forshadowing of the sour) and the sweet man that I have been dating (K) for the past couple of months came over after work just to listen to me and make me feel better. He was only able to stay for abou 45 minutes, but it meant so much to me and truly left me feeling relaxed and ready for the weekend. Friday night my friend Kristen and I went to Chuy's for dinner. We had great conversation (as always) and then stopped by the brand new Trader Joe's in Houston. I am extremely excited about this Trader Joe's, but almost in a surreal way. There's a Trader Joe's in Houston?!?!  I still can't quite believe it. On Friday night, close to closing time, it was not as crowded as I thought it would be, but we still decided to postpone buying anything because the lines seemed too long. It was nice just to see it though. Instead we went to the nearby Whole Foods (Trader Joe's isn't the only one with wine for $2.99!) and then picked up some dessert from The Chocolate Bar. It was a very nice evening. 

Saturday morning I slept in and did a little shopping at Old Navy and HEB. I live in the midst of SO MANY wonderful grocery stores. Whole Foods, HEB, and now Trader Joe's are within minutes of my house. Central Market and Rice Epicurean are not far away. For a wannabe foodie, it's bliss. Saturday afternoon I went to K's apartment to lie out by the pool, which was really nice especially because it finally cooled down a bit in Houston. It's back to being hot and humid now, but just for the weekend we experienced a brief reprieve. Temperatures in the low 90's are a reprieve to us. Saturday evening K and I enjoyed a really good (I thought) dinner at Brasserie 19 and then saw a very strange movie (The Master) at The River Oaks Theater. 

Sunday morning was church as normal. K and I were both greeters, which I enjoy. After church we had lunch with a friend at Tiny Boxwoods. Then I went home to my parents' house to do laundry and see this mutt (plus my family). We got to eat dinner outside and I made this caramel apple cake - which turned out horribly (in my opinion), perhaps because I overcooked the caramel (I think). My brother, sister-in-law, and I watched Clue, which was one of our favorites when I was in high school. 

The Sour Part of the Weekend: 

I'm not going to go into detail because I think that would be tacky....and kind of passive aggressive, but it amazes me when people think they have a right to analyze and assess your life. Especially people you don't even really know. I am an open person and honest somewhat to a fault (if that's possible), so when people confront me with their judgments and opinions of my life I sometimes forget that I have the right to say, "I don't want to discuss this with you". I had this happen several times this weekend (which is not normal) and it caused me a lot of anxiety and feelings of insecurity. Thankfully, I also had several wonderful friends and family members to counteract this sourness. And I believe it happened for a purpose: at least in part to remind me that I can choose to engage or not engage in conversations, to keep parts of my life private, and that the only opinions that truly matter in my life are God's and my own. 


No comments: