Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peach Pie


Here we are again. It's officially summer. And I am officially obsessed with berries and stone fruits. And watermelon. And white wine. Possible the BEST things about summer. 


When I asked my dad what he would like me to bake for Father's Day last weekend, he said either cinnamon rolls or a Peach Pie. Being the seasonal person that I am, I jumped at the opportunity to make peach pie using fresh peaches. Plus, it's pie! I looove making (and eating) pies. :)


I know some people enjoy using their tried and true recipes and I totally see the point to that, but for some reason I just adore trying new recipes. It seems adventurous. So, if I make a peach pie every summer, I want to use a different recipe every time. Just for fun. And now with Pinterest, I really enjoy pinning all the various recipes I discover and then deciding which one to actually bake.


This time I went with a crust and a pie from two different sources. Let me tell you two things:


1) This was probably the most attractive pie I've ever made (and I've made lots of pies).
2) This pie was delicious. Truly. Seriously.


I also made ginger-flavored whipped cream to go with it - which was yummy, but not as magnificent as I had been imagining. That's the problem with expectations. But this pie did go well with vanilla bean ice cream (I highly recommend this kind) or I didn't try this, but I imagine it would have gone well with vanilla yogurt/Greek yogurt.


I am looking forward to making more summer-fruit inspired recipes this summer. Enjoy the season!


Fresh Peach Pie

Crust
Food and Wine
2 2/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (4 ounces, 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon solid vegetable shortening, cold
1/2 cup ice water


In a food processor, pulse the flour with the sugar and salt until combined. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and sprinkle the ice water on top. Stir with a fork until a crumbly dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead 2 or 3 times, just until the dough comes together. Cut the dough in half and form into 2 disks; wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes or overnight.


Meanwhile, make the filling...


Filling 
Taste of Home
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 1/2 cups peeled, sliced peaches (this is about medium peaches)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon butter


In a large bowl, combine sugars; add peaches and toss gently. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of dough to a 12-inch round. Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Set aside. Drain peaches, reserving juice.


In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir in reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter. Gently fold in peaches. Pour into crust.






Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust or just cut slits in the top. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. 




Serves 6-8.

Garnish with Homemade Whipped Cream, if you'd like...

1 cup cream, very cold
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ground ginger (optional) 

Put all the ingredients in a very cold mixing bowl and mix at high speed until stiff peaks form. Store whipped cream in the refrigerator. 



Whipped cream on the left, ice cream on the right. 

No comments: