Monday, July 6, 2009

In Training

Last week I joined a gym. And I signed up to have a personal trainer for 6 weeks. 

Today I deeply regretted that decision. I've always hated exercising. Always. I've also always tried to make myself exercise. The thing is, when I make myself exercise, I really don't push myself at all. As soon as something starts to really hurt, I back off until it's at a more tolerable level. I'm just really not good at pushing myself. That's a big reason why I decided to try a personal trainer - I really need to be pushed. My body is capable of a lot more than I think it is. However, when you go from barely pushing yourself to being pushed more than you ever have in your life, it is a little shocking. 

Today, at one point, during my workout I started seeing spots and I felt really nauseated, like I was about to pass out. I even had to cut a couple of parts of the workout short. The trainer said it was because I hadn't eaten enough beforehand (imagine!). I had eaten some yogurt and berries 2 1/2 hours before my workout and he said I needed to eat something more substantial about an hour before workouts. My next workout with him is scheduled for Wednesday and I need to look into what would be a good thing to eat beforehand. I do not want to feel the way I felt today, it was awful and almost made me want to quit the personal training thing all together. 

But I'm not going to quit. I really need to persevere on this one. I'm tired of me listening to my body - I don't want to work out...I want to eat that... I'm ready for my body to start listening to me - you will workout!... you will eat healthy things!

1 comment:

Paul said...

You can do it! :)