Thursday, July 17, 2008

Colorado!


Last Wednesday my parents drove from Houston to Fort Worth to pick up AJ and me and go to Colorado!!! My brother and his girlfriend are working at the YMCA of the Rockies this summer. So, we went to visit them and to just have a little getaway.

It was beyond great. It just felt good to get out of town and out of my daily routines in Fort Worth, and Colorado was a perfect place to go because it's so different from Texas - mountainous and cool weather! in July! :)

We left Wednesday afternoon after my supervision class and drove ALL night, only stopping once in Wichita, KS to eat dinner. We got close to Denver earlier than my dad thought we would, so we stopped and slept for a couple of hours at a rest stop in our car. I don't think I need to say that that was not the highlight of the trip. We got to Denver around 7 am, ate breakfast, and drove around Denver a bit. Then we went to Boulder and looked at the shops there. At this point we were deliriously tired because we had all had little to no sleep. So, we decided to drive into the mountains, to Estes Park, where the YMCA is and where our hotel is. It was about noon when we got there and our hotel wouldn't let us check in until 3:30! We had to kill 3 1/2 hours in Estes Park. We were so tired! I was so desperate to brush my teeth that I brushed them in a McDonald's parking lot using a bottle of water. I felt so much better after that. Finally we got to go to our hotel room and that night we got to hear my brother lead worship for the kids in leadership training at the YMCA. Of course, he was great!

Friday my brother took us on a tour of the YMCA, we explored the mountain a little bit, went hiking a little, and rode horses. I'm not a big mountain hiking and horse back riding fan. I like to keep my feet on flat Texas ground :) I did have fun though. That night we drove to Boulder and had dinner and dessert to celebrate my mom's, AJ's, and my brother's girlfriend's birthdays.

Saturday we drove up into Rocky Mountain National Park and ate a picnic lunch near a stream. It was so pretty. We also made crafts at the YMCA craft place where my brother's girlfriend works. I made a necklace, earrings, and a tie-dyed shirt. I recently heard on the TODAY show that tie-dye is in style right now. I'm not sure if I'll wear it though... That night we ate at a terrible restaurant in Estes Park. NEVER go to The Wild Rose. It was awful! But it was still a very fun night.

Sunday morning we said goodbye to my brother and drove down to Santa Fe, New Mexico. We shopped the plaza and saw the miraculous staircase and other historical things. That night we ate dinner at a really fun place called The Cowgirl. It seemed like a place that would be in Texas, not New Mexico.

Monday, we did some final shopping and sight seeing in Santa Fe and then we made the long drive back to Fort Worth. This vacation was way too short! I was not ready to come back. Especially because early Tuesday morning I had a client to counsel!

Anyway, here are some pictures of our trip.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like so much fun! Did you enjoy the miraculous staircase?

I'm trying to imagine you, AJ, and your parents sleeping in the car. That's so funny! And very good for stories later. Isn't that what trips are for? =)