Wednesday, January 14, 2015

What I Ate Wednesday: One thing at a time

Like most good Americans, I have hopes of eating a healthier diet in this new year. However, after over three decades of living, I know myself fairly well. Although I tend to want to go to extremes, I don't do well in extremes.

For instance, the Whole30 eating plan sounds like a wonderful idea and a great option for some people. But for me, I know I'd crash and burn within the first week. Give into my weaknesses and eat an entire frozen pizza all by myself.

For me, slow and steady wins the race. Or at least that's my theory. To be realistic and doable. So, in that spirit I have decided to progressively limit one thing per month. January is bread/starch products (which to me means: bread, pasta, rice, white potatoes, etc.) and alcohol. My cheat days (within reason) are Friday night - Sunday. I know, that's like half the week, but like I said, I'm trying to do something that's reasonable for me. I figure if I've been eating almost whatever I want 7 days a week and I limit that to a little over 2 days a week....that's got to be better.

Right?

Next month I'm going to limit my dairy intake (and continue to limit my bread/starch and alcohol intake). After that I really need to take on processed sugar, but that's my hardest battle. I probably need professional help.

Anyway, last Wednesday I was pretty successful in my goal...

For breakfast, I had coffee with coconut milk creamer, an apple with natural peanut butter, and a hard boiled egg with salt and pepper.

For lunch, I had a salad consisting of baby kale, green beans, red bell pepper, roasted sweet potato, avocado, and blueberries with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Very filling.


On the side, I attempted to have an Uber Larabar, but it tasted weird and then I discovered it was expired! So, that didn't happen. 

Thanks a lot, Randall's.
For dinner, I went over to Michael's place and we had turkey burger patties with broccoli and spicy marinara sauce. The turkey burger patty is hidden under the generous portion of marinara sauce. Maybe I was just really hungry, but this was so yummy!


I was really surprised at how well I did this past Wednesday. To be completely honest, things have not gone this well everyday. I have not eaten bread products, but I have eaten way too many pieces of little chocolate. Sugar in the form of candy is my one, true downfall. Well, really I prefer baked goods, so I guess candy is better than cookies and muffins. Maybe? 

Also, last night I ate pizza (a very reasonable portion) and drank red wine with a friend. Definitely not part of my plan, but it was fun and much needed friend time. I refuse to beat myself up when I'm not perfect. My goal is health and happiness, not health and misery. 

Baby steps and resilience, that's my plan for 2015. 

No comments: