Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Weekend Recap: Sorority Girl



When I was in college I was in a sorority called Sigma Phi Lambda ~ Sisters for the Lord ~ Phi Lamb. My time in Phi Lamb means a lot to me, mostly because of the lasting friendships I gained from it. My friends Paula and Amie are two of my closest friends and they were the first two girls I met in Phi Lamb. 

I have changed a lot since college. From age 18 to about 23, I'm pretty sure I suffered with some kind of social anxiety disorder. I never saw a doctor, but I know it was a problem and that I lived a limited life (at least socially) because of it. In hindsight, I did not make the most of my years in college because I was afraid and uncomfortable in my own skin. 

I am very thankful to God (and a very strategic friendship) for delivering me from the burden of social anxiety. In the past 8 years I feel like I have bloomed into who I am truly meant to be. A person who enjoys relationships, socializing, and life in general. It makes me sad when I think about how my college years could have been different, but I am thankful for where I am now. 

Last year, Paula asked me to serve on the Phi Lamb Alumae Council with her. This year Paula decided not to do it because she's a newlywed, so I asked Amie to join me. Part of being on AC is attending the annual officer retreat in the Dallas area. 

Both last year and this year I kind of dreaded the retreat, but I always end up having a lot more fun than I think I will. Sure, you have to sleep on bunk beds and use a communal bathroom, but I always laugh so much and the food is surprisingly good. I was joking that it was a "fat camp" because it was going to make us fat!

I love spending time with the officers and seeing the enthusiasm of college girls. They're so young and hopeful about life and being a good 10 years older than them, I just want them to stay the way they are forever. Sweet and optimistic. At least the HBU officers are. :)

Anyway, this will probably be my last year to do it, but it's really a neat experience. My prayer for this year is that I will be a good AC, check in with the girls regularly, and give them fun little gifts. To good intentions!

The officers in the middle and Amie and I on the ends. 

No comments: