Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Restored to Health: Update


I have not updated on my journey to restored health in a while. Partly because things are going extremely well. When I first began cutting down on my Prilosec dosage, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it. I was chewing licorice DGL tablets, gulping down aloe vera juice, avoiding acid-inducing foods, and sleeping on a stack of four fluffy pillows, but I was still having strong bouts of acid reflux. 

I think there is an adjustment period for my body every time I reduce my Prilosec dose. I am now alternating between 3/4 and 1/2 of a pill and I had one day that was a little rough, but for the most part I'm doing well. 

However, the biggest contributor to my success (and I'm tempted to say that it's been close to a miracle) has definitely been my discovery of this product...


Acid Ease. All summer I had been perusing the digestive remedies section of Whole Foods and I had seen this product, but never been interested in trying it. Later I read some reviews of marshmallow root and decided I wanted to try it. When I went to Whole Foods to look for marshmallow root, I found Acid Ease, which said it contained both marshmallow root and slippery elm. I decided to give it a try and it has been AMAZING! I am pretty much acid reflux free when I take it! I've even been able to enjoy glasses of wine and a couple of cups of coffee. 

The only downside is that part of the reason I began this journey was to improve my health in multiple areas - not just acid reflux. My main goal was and still is to get off Prilosec, but I was also hoping to commit to a  more anti-inflammatory diet, a healthy, lower-calorie diet, and a diet that would lessen my struggles with anxiety and depression. 

I am the type of person that will sometimes not change until things get really uncomfortable. The discomfort I was feeling from acid reflux was motivating me to do whatever was necessary to feel better. With Acid Ease, it's easier for me to blow off my other goals because I'm not in pain from the acid relfux. I have to remind myself that I was experiencing reflux no matter what I ate (hiatial hernia)...and that's no way to live. 

Acid Ease have given me hope and excitement about the possibility of life without Prilosec and without acid reflux. I am still scheduled to be completely off Prilosec by the end of October. We'll see...

I've done a lot of internet-research (aka Googling) and there don't seem to be any horrifically negative side effects of the ingredients in Acid Ease. I'm hoping that even though I am feeling more freedom to eat whatever I want that I will continue to make healthier choices that benefit my entire body and not just my overly sensitive digestive track. 

If you have acid reflux, I cannot recommend Acid Ease highly enough. 

No comments: