Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Smashed Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Pancakes

This past weekend I made Joy the Baker's Smashed Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Pancakes. And no, they didn't look like this....

Mine looked like this...


I did a few things differently than the original recipe, not because I'm a kitchen-genius, but because it was what I already had and I didn't want to spend more money at the grocery store than I had to. I actually love being creative and thrifty with ingredients when I can. I kind of make it a game.

These pancakes tasted really good, but they were flatter than I like my pancakes. Perhaps because I didn't use the ingredients Joy recommended. I still think nothing can beat this pancake recipe. This one's pretty good as well. 

Smashed Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Pancakes
Joy the Baker

1 cup flour
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of ground cinnamon <--I didn't add this because I didn't have any
1 cup buttermilk <-- I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled <-- I used canola oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract <-- I omitted this because I didn't have it and the milk was vanilla flavored
1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks <-- I used Guittard chips
Fresh raspberries
Maple Syrup and powdered sugar, for garnish
Nonstick spray for the pan


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon . Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together (butter)milk, melted butter/oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients, all at once to the wet ingredients.  Whisk to combine.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes while the skillet heats.
Over medium-low heat, add about 1/4 cup of batter to the pan for each pancake.  Cook until browned, flip once and cook on the other side until golden brown and cooked through.  Place cooked pancakes on a plate in the oven (at about 200 degrees to keep warm) until all of the pancakes are cooked and ready to serve.
To serve, smash raspberries on top of pancakes.  Top with maple syrup and powdered sugar.  
Serves 2-4, depending on how much you're going to eat. 

1 comment:

A.J. said...

I want pancakes with you!!!!!