Saturday, December 10, 2011

Butterscotch Haystack Bars

For several years now I have made Butterscotch Haystacks every year at Christmas time. Normally, butterscotch haystacks are comprised of Chinese noodles, salted peanuts, peanut butter, and butterscotch chips.
Butterscotch Haystacks from Christmas 2009
A couple of weeks ago I saw a recipe for salted nut bars, which sounded good, but as I looked at the recipe I ingeniously realized that those ingredients could easily be altered to create Butterscotch Haystack Bars!!! I couldn't wait to make them!

The result? Delicious! Do I like them as much as I like butterscotch haystacks? Yes, but in a different way. The classic butterscotch haystack is very crunchy due to the noodles. These bars are definitely softer, but there is still a crunch from the noodles and peanuts. I would say these almost borderline on fudge....I'm not exactly sure what technically qualifies a sweet as being "fudge", but these must be close.

I am absolutely in love with the salty sweet combo in these bars and that they're so easy and quick to make! If you love butterscotch haystacks, I would encourage you to give these a try.

Butterscotch Haystack Bars
adapted from Bake or Brake
1 1/2 cups Chinese noodles
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts (no skins)
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
3 Tablespoons butter
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups miniature marshmallows

In an ungreased casserole pan (use 11x7, 9x13, or mine was 10x10) evenly spread the noodles and 3/4 cup of the peanuts.
The noodles.  
The peanuts. 

In a medium saucepan melt the butter, peanut butter chips, and butterscotch chips over low heat. Add the sweetened condensed milk and the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.


Pour the mixture into the pan, over the noodles and peanut, spread evenly and sprinkle the other 3/4 cup peanuts.


Refrigerate to let the bars set up. Then cut  and serve either cold or at room temperature. I prefer them at room temp for sure.



Look! Fall leaves in Houston! I know it's December....but still! Fall leaves!

No comments: