Monday, May 30, 2011

Three-Day Weekend with Three-Cheese Macaroni

I'm trying a new thing where I've decided to do all my blogging in one spot. And I'm going to try and start blogging more regularly. I always have a lot of ideas, but I rarely actually get them posted!

The past month plus has been a whirlwind! Between job interviews via Skype, out-of-town friends visiting, multiple trips to Seattle, packing, saying goodbye, my uhaul trailer coming unhitched, a cross country road trip, starting a new job, seeing my best friend after a long time apart, reuniting with my pit bull love, and coming down with the stomach virus from heck...I've been busy.

So, this Memorial Day weekend I was more than happy to do little more than nothing. Such relief to spend time sleeping in, reading, sitting outside, walking Henry, cooking, baking, watching documentaries. Exactly the kind of weekend I needed. Now I'm feeling much more ready to embrace a new work week and my new life in Houston :)

Today my dad grilled some chicken, my mom made a delicious goat cheese and asparagus salad, and I made this Three-Cheese Macaroni. The recipe called for homemade bread crumbs, but I decided bagel chip crumbs might be even tastier. And they were! This recipe was really easy and really delicious.


Three-Cheese Macaroni
slightly adapted from O Magazine, December 2001

12 ounces small elbow macaroni
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup fontina cheese, grated
1/2 stick butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup garlic bagel chips, crushed (or bread crumbs)
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain, and set aside.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and butter a 2-quart casserole dish.

In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk till smooth. Slowly whisk in the milk and salt. Add 3/4 cup of the grated cheddar and 3/4 cup of the grated fontina to the sauce and thoroughly stir in the cooked macaroni.

Pour the macaroni mixture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle the top of the macaroni with 1/4 cup grated cheddar, 1/4 cup grated fontina, 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon paprika (plus more if you want), the bagel chip crumbs, and drizzle with the olive oil.


Bake for 25 minutes. Serves 4-6.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Yumm! I'm so glad that we will be living close to each other to taste your yummy food :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish... I love the bagel chip idea. Simple, but I wouldn't have thought of it on my own. Creative, Mel! I agree with Paula- now that all 3 of us with be south we'll have to hang out and have a mini dinner party! Also, you mom's salad sounds good... I'd like to see that recipe too! -Ashley