Monday, January 3, 2011

The Importance of Attitude


Happy New Year!!!

This (among many other things) is in my heart as we begin 2011: regardless of circumstances shouldn't our attitudes, behavior, and speech point to the fact that God is good?
I realize this may be asking a lot.

There are many times in life, if not all the time, that we could choose to look at the negatives aspects of our lives and be in sour moods or depressed because of them. I've definitely chosen that route way too many times in my life. And there are some times in life when the negative or difficult aspects seem to outweigh the positive and then it is especially hard not to focus on the mountain of difficult and instead to fixate on the shreds and crumbs of good.

However, a life of faith is not based on circumstances, it is based on trusting something regardless of your circumstances. I am choosing to trust the Lord's goodness, power, and plan for my life even when I wish things were different. So, if I believe in a good, loving God who has done wonders in my life, shouldn't my attitude, behavior, and speech attest to that?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that there are days when we just need to vent and there are times when we just need to express our feelings through a crappy mood. But if this is our dominant way of living and at the same time we say we trust the Lord's leading in our lives, isn't something wrong with that picture? For me personally, I sometimes struggle with appearing cheerful and friendly on the outside, but on the inside feeling more like Eeyore.


Jesus never tells us that our lives are going to be easy and fun, but He does tell us to be encouraged and at peace because He loves us dearly. If our hope is truly in Him, shouldn't that affect every aspect of our lives, including our attitudes, behavior, and what we say to others?

Peace I leave with you; my piece I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. -Jesus in John 14:27 NIV

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. -Jesus in John 16:33

No comments: