Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 1: An Introduction

So, I've been seeing this "30 Days of Blogging" things on others blogs and I think I'll give it a try. I don't know if I'll be able to do it 30 consecutive days in a row, but I'll try and I'll definitely get all 30 entries in eventually.

Day 1, Let me introduce you to...myself. My name is Melanie, my middle name is Lauren, and my last name is kind of a funny one. All my life people have asked me if I get teased a lot about my last name, but the truth is, I've rarely been teased about it. I can only think of 2 specific times when I was teased about my last name (one was in kindergarten and one was in 6th grade). Other than that I actually get a lot of compliments on it, things like, "I LOVE your last name!" or "is that REALLY your last name?!" (no I had it printed on a credit card just to be funny...) or "that is such a cool last name!".

I grew up in a really amazing family, with 2 loving parents, a little brother who is one of my best friends ever, and always a dog (Lumpy, Jack, and then Sadie). I lived in Texas (and mostly Houston) pretty much my entire life until very recently. Growing up in Texas is like growing up in another country, it's like being Irish or something, Texans are proud to be Texans and most never want to leave.

I didn't want to leave until about a year ago and it wasn't that I really wanted to leave, it was just that I needed some change, something different. So now I live in Portland, Oregon. And I love it, but I can't get Texas out of my system. I don't think it will matter how long I live or where I live, I will always feel like I should be in Texas, it will always be my life-long dream to live and thrive in Texas.

Things I like: reading, traveling, coffee, coffee shops, writing, music, live music, art in all its forms, cultural events, festivals, cooking, baking, dogs, my dog Henry, family, the seasons, going out, staying home, pajamas, glasses, intelligence, quirkiness, laughing, driving, organization, nostalgia.

I'm an INFJ and I think that explains a lot. Google it.

Currently I am single, I work in a restaurant as "support staff", and I rent a room in a really pretty house with really nice people.

When I was 18 I became a Christian and that is the most important thing in my life. I believe love is THE most important thing in life and therefore Jesus is the most important person because He shows us what love is, what it feels like to be loved, and what it looks like to love Him and others. My goal in life is to do what Jesus said: Love God first and then love others. No judgment, just love. I'll leave judgment to God, it's really not my job. I believe that Christianity is all-inclusive and is all about being loved, loving others, freedom, joy, and peace. It is by far the best thing that has ever happened to me. However, that is not to say being a Christian is easy or all rainbows and smiles. The Lord is not afraid to refine you to the point of breaking your life to pieces and then putting it back together again, but that's where trust and faith come in - He's knows what He's doing and it is all ultimately for your own good. I speak from experience :)

So, there you go, that's me. I guess. I don't think I'm leaving anything out. The following days will give you more detail. Until then I have a sinus pressure headache and have to go to work in an hour.

So we've been introduced, nice to meet you, have a great day!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love everything you said and I love you!!! What an amazing gift from God you are! :)