Thursday, April 2, 2009

La Misma Luna


This week my roommate surprised me by renting a movie I've been wanting to see for a long time: Under the Same Moon. It's about a Mexican woman who illegally comes to America to work and send money home to her son, who is living in Mexico with his grandmother. When the grandmother dies in her sleep one night, the little boy decides to travel to Los Angeles to find his mother. 

This was one of the best movies I've ever seen. I LOVED IT. And I loved the ending. Which for me, a good ending can make up for a mediocre book or movie, but this movie was not mediocre at all. It was interesting, funny, and thought provoking. 

Call me a bleeding heart liberal, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for illegal immigrants. I realize that I don't completely understand all the implications and ramifications of illegal immigration. I haven't studied it or done any research. But I think illegal immigration is one of those things that you can either look at theoretically or in reality. Theoretically, strict immigration rules might make perfect sense, but movies like Under the Same Moon help you realize that illegal immigrants are just people. And most of them aren't trying to do anything wrong. They just want to make money for their families. They can't help what government they were born into.

I'm not trying to make any political statement about immigration. Not at all. But this movie just really touched my heart in that area. In reminded me that in the Bible God talks a lot about helping the foreigner, the poor, the widows, those that are without resources, that need grace and help. 

While the little boy is making the journey to LA to find his mom, he meets several people that keep him safe, help him, and make his journey possible and successful. What would have happened to him without those people? 

What if we asked ourselves, in whose life am I supposed to be that person? What if we really tried to treat people the way we would want to be treated if we were in their situation?

I love seeing life from someone else's perspective. I think those are some of the best, most humbling, most empowering experiences in life. 

If you want a thought provoking look at immigration and/or just want to see a really good movie, you should rent Under the Same Moon. It's even at the red box right now!

No comments: