Saturday, January 10, 2009

Healthy Hot Chocolate

This is my current addiction. I found this recipe while watching an episode of Ellie Krieger one weekend in Houston. I love Ellie's recipes and I wish I could watch that show every weekend.

Healthy Hot Chocolate is really easy to make. You mix 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder (the bitter kind, NOT the Nesquick kind :) with 2-3 teaspoons of sugar. I also like to add a dash of cinnamon, ginger, or a splash of vanilla extract for extra flavor. Then you heat up fat free milk in either a pan or in the microwave. Pour a little hot milk in the cup and mix it with the cocoa mixture. Then pour in the rest of the milk and you have a cup of healthy hot chocolate. I sometimes like to add fat free redi-whip and a few choclate chips to make it even more fun.

This hot chocolate is healthy because it really doesn't have that much sugar, milk is good for you, and the antioxidants in cocoa powder fight cancer. Of course you could make it less healthy by using a higher fat milk (which would also make it richer) or adding more sugar if you need it a little sweeter (you could use Splenda maybe). I've also tried making it with coffee and milk instead of just milk. Especially in comparison to powder mix hot chocolates (like Swiss Miss) or something you could get at Starbucks, this is definitely "healthy" hot chocolate.

I want some now.

No comments: