Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Today I said good bye to my seminary home. We moved several weeks ago and finished cleaning it the week before Thanksgiving. Today, I just went to do the final touches, including spackling the holes in the walls from all the stuff we had hung up. I used my seminary ID to spread and scrape the spackling. Haha! I mean, I won't be needing it ever again really...

I really haven't been sad about moving at all, but today I felt a little nostalgic. I even cried a few (very brief) tears. Not for the home itself, of course, but just for all the memories. I lived there for over 2 years. That's the longest I've ever lived anywhere that wasn't with my parents. I was not always happy when I lived in that house, but I also learned invaluable lessons about life, relationships, and Jesus while I lived in that house. 

I've been feeling differently since moving to the new house.

Every once in a while, I really like to spend a whole day at home. But most days, I like to go places! Work, school, shopping, out to eat - I love to be out in a city. In college, I hardly spent any time in my dorm or apartment. I spent lots of time at Starbucks, Einstein's, La Madeleine and any where else I could study and drink coffee. 

The only place I've ever really, truly felt at home is my parents' house. 

But that's all changing now. I'm finding great joy in just being at home. And making home a place that is truly a home and not just a place to shower, sleep, and store my stuff. I want to cook meals at home instead of going out to eat, I want to make coffee at home instead of wasting my money at Starbucks. This fall I realized that ONE pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks cost over $3. At the grocery store, you can buy an ENTIRE bottle of pumpkin spice coffee creamer and have 20+ cups of coffee (not all in one day, I hope) for about the same price! And everything just tastes better & healthier when it's made at home.

If the Lord one day decides to bless me with a family of my own, I want to teach my kids that home is a place to love and cherish (...until death do you part. ha).

As soon as we get finished decorating (which is HARD to do while studying for finals and writings papers) I will post pictures of my new home :)

No comments: