Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Birthday Weekend

This past weekend was my 26th birthday. Part of my birthday present was a trip to Atlanta, Georgia and to see a Clemson football game with AJ. It was so much fun!

We left early Friday morning and our dear friend, Scott, was kind enough to let us park our car at his apartment and then take us to the airport. He lives really close to the airport. I think that flying is very exciting and I don't do it very much, but in truth, I'm not the best flier. I get antsy on the plane and sometimes a little anxious about flying thousands of miles above the earth. But it's worth it to go to fun, exciting places in a matter of a few hours! Our flight into Atlanta was delayed. We ended up getting there mid-afternoon. We rode the MARTA through Atlanta to meet AJ's sister and brother-in-law, who live in East Atlanta. We stayed with them all weekend and they were great. They have a really nice home, with 2 super fun basset hounds. That night we just hung out with them and Lauren made a great dinner.

Saturday morning we had to get up very early to drive to Clemson, South Carolina for the football game. AJ went to college at Clemson and she LOVED it. Ever since we met, I've been determined to go to a Clemson game with her, and I finally got my chance. Clemson is in a beautiful, beautiful part of South Carolina and it is a really neat, little college town. There was such a fun atmosphere at the game and in the town itself. It's times like those that I kind of wish I had gone to a big school, with a fun football team, but I know HBU was perfect for me at the time in my life when I went there. After the game we shopped around a little, visited some tailgate parties, and ate at a fun place in downtown Clemson.

The football game itself was fun, they lost, but it was a good game. I have a confession to make: I have never understood football until this weekend. No one had ever explained it to me! Well, someone once did try to explain it to me in great detail, but that really wasn't that helpful. While we were at the game AJ (who has the gift of teaching) explained football to me and I got it. I completely got it. I see now. I see what all the fuss is about. And I enjoyed the game. I really enjoyed it. Before I just undestood the very basics of the game (touchdowns), but now that I understand more of the details, I'll actually say that I kind of want to watch a football game. That's right. I never really thought I'd say that. I feel much more American now. :)

Sunday was my birthday and it was GREAT! AJ and I borrowed Lauren's car and drove into Atlanta. We ate at a breakfast place called The Flying Biscuit, where I had the BEST French toast that I have ever had in my life. It was beyond amazing. And I'm pretty sure I know why. I'm going to try to re-create it this coming weekend. I'll let you know how that goes... After breakfast we went to the Coke museum and the aquarium and just had fun hanging out in Atlanta. That night we had dinner at with Trey and Lauren at a flat bread restaurant where I had a flat bread sandwich with goat cheese, artichokes, and mushrooms. It was crazy how good it was. When we got back home Lauren had make a Coke cake, which was super sweet and really good. My birthday was definitely a day of good food :)

Monday we flew back into Dallas. It's good to be back in Texas. I will never forget my first birthday in another state! And one of the few times I've been out of state in a season other than summer!

To see pictures, click here!

No comments: