Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Cake of the Month: Applesauce Spice Cake

Once upon a time (in 2009), I joined an online cake baking club called The Cake Slice. Every month the members of the group all baked the same cake, from the same cookbook, and then blogged about it. I had so much fun and made so many delicious cakes. But with several moves, a new job, and other life changes I became "too busy" to bake much and reluctantly dropped out of the group.


Since that time I have really missed having a reason  to bake a cake every month. I also like the fact that being in the group forces me to bake cakes that I might never have tried on my own. So, I rejoined this month, I am excited to say! And just in time because we are beginning a new cookbook: Great Cakes by Carole Walter. 

November's cake is an Applesauce Spice Cake baked in a bundt pan with a Caramel Glaze. My overall verdict is that it was a very yummy cake. After I made it I came down with a terrible cold and it was the only thing that tasted good to me, so I had quite a few slices with hot tea!


I don't know if I would make this cake again, as I've had other apple cakes that I prefer. Also, to me, this cake was pretty labor intensive. I mean, I realize it didn't have layers or anything truly tricky, but it did seem to take a lot of time and measuring cups. 

The only change I made to the ingredients was when I realized I was out of allspice at the last minute and substituted some pumpkin pie spice. I also didn't toast my pecans. I'm not sure why my cake was such a dark brown color.

This cake was a great introduction back into the group and I'm excited about the cakes to come!







13 comments:

Paloma said...

I am so happy you decided to return to our group! I hope you'll have lots of fun as I look forward to baking many cakes with you! So happy you enjoyed this cake! I came down with a cold right after I made it too... Now I am wondering! LOL! j/k

Laura@baking in pyjamas said...

Cake and tea sounds like the perfect way to make yourself feel better with. It looks great. Glad you re-joined the group.

ImWhisper said...

Cake and tea sound like a good excuse to be sick lol! Hope you are feeling better!
You cake turned out lovely!

:)
Holly

Emily said...

Welcome back Melanie!!

Cake looks good and great with tea!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Hi Melanie! Welcome back! Isn't nice to be baking again?! Your cake came out so well...especially the glaze. (Mine seemed too thick!) And lucky for you that you were out of allspice, I bet pumpkin pie spice gave the cake a nice mellow flavor! Hope you are feeling better and I'm looking forward to baking with you throughout the year! : )

Unknown said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you enjoyed this cake and it's healing powers!

OvenDelights said...

Welcome back Melanie!
I'm trying really hard to remember what book we were baking from when you joined. Was it the first book? I joined the second season. Please forgive me, I have a terrible memory problem!
Before Paloma joined our group it was hard to keep track of who baked, it seemed impossible to go through everyone's blog and search for the cake of the month. Things are a whole lot easier now that we have the linky tool!
I'm glad your on board and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.XOXO

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

I think it is sweet that you came back because you missed baking with these bakers. :)

Heather said...

I'm glad you're back and your cake looks great. I hope you're feeling better now.

Pink Little Cake said...

hello there, I am happy you are back baking with us. I am glad you liked the cake, it was definitely good.

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Welcome back Melanie, I'm looking forward to baking with you as we work our way through our new book. Your cake looks delicious and I love your glaze. Mine seemed to be a little thick so I am definitely going to aim for your kind of glaze next time, but I loved the spices in this cake.

Hazel said...

Super job Melanie! And welcome back to the group! Happy to be baking alongside you :) Have a great weekend, Hazel x

Unknown said...

Melanie, glad to see you back after so long :) Indeed, this cake tastes perfect with a cup of hot tea. Hope this combination made you feel a whole lot better already :)