Tuesday, September 3, 2013

chocolate chocolate-chip cookies with candy corn m&m's


In my opinion, fall is far superior to summer. Throughout the years many people from other parts of the country have informed me that Texas does not have the season of fall. Which may seem correct, but to me, fall is a state of mind. Sure, cooler temperatures would be nice (and I literally pray for them every year), but sometimes you just have to sip your pumpkin spice latte with the AC blasting and your flip flops on. I pretty much insist on fall and therefore, every September-November, I thoroughly enjoy fall. 

I started to get a little giddy last week when I saw these in Target. 


My first hint of fall. At some point in high school I became inexplicably obsessed with candy corn (or more specifically, "autumn mix", a combination of candy corn, Indian corn, and those little pumpkins). I would eat it by the bag full. Since then, my love for candy corn has decreased, but I still have a sort of nostalgic feeling towards it. So, when I saw candy corn m&m's, I was intrigued. I was prepared for them to be kind of gross, but they were actually good. Really just white chocolate m&m's, but very rich, with an almost vanilla-ice-cream type of flavor. I ate a pitifully-small serving size and then put the rest in my fridge. 

Not long after my candy corn m&m purchase, I started daydreaming about putting them into cookies. I thought a richer, deep chocolate cookie would be a nice backdrop to the white chocolate candy. These were very fun and easy to make and I think they look very fall or Halloween-ish. Also, the chocolate cookies by themselves would also be delicious. And of course this could be made with any kind of m&m's. I put coconut m&m's on half a dozen of them and they were amazing. 


Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies with Candy Corn M&M's

Ingredients
2 1/2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
11/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 a bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag m&m's of your choice
Preheat oven to 350 degree. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. 
In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined after each addition.
Gently stir in chocolate chips.
Drop cookies onto cookie sheet using a tablespoon. Top each cookies with 3 m&m's and bake for about 10 minutes. Allow them to cool for a few minutes on the pan and then let them finish cooling on parchment paper or a wire rack before you try to place them on a plate. 
Makes about 36 cookies. 

No comments: