Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bittersweet

"It is the second largest state in the Union, and the only state that was once a republic. It has pine and hardwood forests, coastal swamplands, sunbaked deserts, majestic mountains, and grassy plains. It has over 600 species of birds, over 500 different grasses, over 5,000 kinds of wildflowers and 200 different kinds of trees. You can travel across it in a straight line for more than 800 miles. It has existed under six flags, Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the Confederate States of America and the United States. And it has a whole lots of pride. It is the State of Texas."
-insert in my James Avery jewelry gift box

OK, that might be a little cheesy and/or obnoxious, but everyone knows Texans love their state and I'm surely no exception. That's why after an arguably brief, but powerful time in Portland, Oregon I am returning to my hometown of Houston, Texas.

Again.

I could really say lots and lots and lots of things about my time in Portland, my return to Houston, and everything that has happened in my life in the past couple of years and eventually I probably will in some form or another.

Until then, I'm Houston-bound in a couple of weeks. I have a job at a university - I'm sure I'll expand more on this later as well. I'm pretty sure that for a long time to come my heart will remain torn between the amazing people and the natural beauty I've found in Portland and the comforts and attachment to my home in Houston.

Overall, I'm excited!

2 comments:

Paul said...

I'm excited too! We can't wait to see you. :)

U.M.&A.L. said...

We are too! We should mark the occassion with some home made lemon bars! Welcome home, again!