Monday, September 13, 2010

Let's try this one more time: Portland!

So, I've been thinking for days, maybe weeks, of a way to say on here that I moved back to Portland, Oregon and I just can't think of anything else to say. So....

I moved back to Portland, Oregon. 

I'll just go through the basics:

WHO: Me, just me, yep I moved back to Portland by myself again. The first time my dear friend AJ made the journey from Houston to Portland with me. This time my dear friend Erin flew down from Portland and made that long trek with me. I am SO unbelievably thankful for the wonderful friends and gracious family that have supported me during these moves. And that I've gotten to see the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, and Albuquerque, NM twice in 2010. Nice.

WHAT: Yes, I moved back. I know, why did I leave in the first place? Or why did I go to Portland in the first place? All valid questions. The answers are too long. At least for now.

WHEN: About a week ago. Erin and I left Houston on September 1 and arrived in Portland on September 4. I started back at work on September 5. I made the official decision to move back to Portland in early August and spent the rest of the month of August putting the details in place.

WHERE: Last time I lived in SE Portland, near the lovely Lents Park (Erin still lives in SE, so I'm there a lot); this time I live in NE Portland. I kind of prefer SE because it is very stereotypical Portland, but I LOVE the house that I'm living in now and the people I'm living with. The house is so, so pretty and I live with a mom and her little boy and they're both GREAT. I feel very blessed. And today I got a free queen-sized bed!

WHY: Suffice to say the first time I felt led by the Lord to move here, the second time I felt led by my ever-dwindling checking account (jk, kinda). It's been my life's dream (and possibly something I will never get over) to live successfully and happily in Houston, Texas, but I gave it my all this summer (and many times before) and for the life of me could not find gainful employment. My old job in Portland (actually Washington) was offered to me and partly for lack of options and partly because the hot, humid, Houston summer was driving me batty, I took them up on their offer.

And honestly, I don't think God was through with me in Oregon. I don't have a clear idea as to why He wants me here, but I think it might have something to do with being completely out of my comfort-zone, on my own, and 100%, wonderfully dependent on Him. Plus, this time, He is showing me a marvelous difference in myself. The first time I was here I was a wreck and I made some decisions that I am not proud of - it was like looking in a mirror and seeing a reflection of yourself you did not want to see. Through those bad decisions and a healing summer in Houston, the Lord is now revealing to me a healed, nourished heart that is wiser, stronger, and more in love with Jesus than ever before.

And beautiful Oregon has welcomed me back with seriously like a WEEK of gorgeous weather. In the 60's and 70's hardly any rain so far....I know the rain, cold, and gray skies are coming (and I'm not dreading them at all), but for now I am really enjoying the natural beauty and lack of humidity.

Time to go watch Dexter with E-rin... :)

No comments: