Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Life in Portland...so far...

I had originally intended to update this blog about my life in Portland much more frequently, but it just didn't happen. Partly because, in almost 4 months, I have yet to have Internet access in my home. Every time I want to get online I have to go to a coffee shop. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I love coffee shops. Also, I have multiple journals - this one, a friends-only Live Journal, and a private, hand-written journal. I kind of go in phases as to which one I write in more frequently. While I've been living in Portland, it's definitely been the private, hand-written journal.

So, let's do a little recap of my time in Portland thus far...

January 21 - I arrived in Portland and moved into a house in the SE. I almost immediately became great friends with Erin. My love. She cracks me up.

February 21 - Exactly one month after arriving in Portland, I was employed! Erin helped me get a job at the restaurant where she works as "support staff" and I really liked it.

Mid-March - My family came to visit and brought me my dog, Henry. Sadly, chaos ensued. One of my roommates and I got in a disagreement about Henry's disposition. He is the sweetest dog on earth (many can attest to this), but for some reason she was genuinely afraid he was going to maul her children. I somewhat hastily moved out...and into my landlord's home....

April - Living with my landlord did not work out. My schedule and my dog annoyed their family...so I moved into Erin's basement/studio apartment. Meant for one person. This was my favorite part of life in Portland. It was strange and stressful, but I had SO much fun with Erin. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. And Erin is an amazing, giving, understanding friend. I could not have survived without her.

May - I had to find another place to live that would allow Henry. I found it, in NE Portland, but then at the last minute they decided they didn't want Henry to live in the house. STRESS. I had no where to live...and what am I supposed to do with my dog?! I came to the conclusion that he has to go back to Texas...but how to get him there? Fly him? Not cheap and kind of scary - I don't want my baby in a cargo hold. Drive him? Longgg drive and with what car? My car and drive back? Rent a car and fly back? All of these options are expensive too. My brother's wedding is May 22, so I'm going home anyway for that, but how do I take Henry with me?

Stay tuned to see what happens next in this Portland saga...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the Henry situation. I really hope it works out, and you can find a way / a place to keep him with you.

You know my story. When I left my parent's house and moved to where I am now, I had to leave my cat behind. My first apartment required a $500 deposit (only partially refundable) and a $10- $12/month "pet rent" (which I complained about and got them to waive). After paying the deposit, I was able to get my cat from my parent's house a couple of months later.

I know it's more stressful to have a dog than a cat, but I've loved having my cat with me all this time.


Regardless, I'm sure you've analyzed all the pros / cons of the current situation and will make the best decision for you and Henry. Whatever you decide, I hope all goes well.