Thursday, May 27, 2010

My First Thoughts Upon Returning to Houston


Well, here's the answer to the burning question in your soul - I have tentatively moved back to Houston. I say tentatively because I left a large part of my heart in Portland. Cheesy.
And since I am unemployed in both cities, what do I have to lose by taking my sweet time deciding which one I want to live in? I'm applying for jobs in both cities and waiting to see what happens. Although Houston is HOME and it's where my family is....so that's pretty influential. Honestly, even though right now I really want to go back to Portland I'm wondering if in the long-run I will regret not settling down in Houston. Plus, I've come to the recent realization that I might have Peter-Pan syndrome..... Maybe I just need to suck it up, get a real job, and just start being an adult. As I come to the end of my third decade of life, that might be a good idea.

So, anyway, until further notice, I live in Houston. And I'm sweating profusely. And my hair looks like a Chia Pet.
And these are the thoughts that I've been having during my first week in Houston. I've been mentally recording these thoughts and I thought it was probably a good idea to write them down and share them with the world (or the 2 people who read this).
  • Houston is HOT
  • Humidity S.U.C.K.S.
  • I forgot what driving on the Houston freeways is like - it's really kind of a rush.
  • The Houston freeways represent the diversity of Houston, Houston is a diverse city in all the ways you can imagine diversity and we're ALL on the freeways. And we're all in a HURRY.
  • Sometimes I see things on the freeway - like an old, rusted, gutted washing machine from a laundromat, tied into an old, rusty F-350 with yellow, police "crime scene" tape - and I just think, I don't want to know what's going on there. I sincerely would rather not know.
  • I believe the most fascinating driving you will see in Houston would have to be in the Galleria area
  • God help the Third Ward
  • Houston is hot
  • Ethnic diversity is a good thing
  • Tex-Mex is by far the best food on the planet. No questions in my mind. That's why I've eaten it at least once per day since I've been here.
  • Houston is really hot.
  • The sweaty look is attractive (this is what I keep telling myself).
  • Why in the hell (heck) did my ancestors decide to settle in Houston? (I'm just being honest. I love it now that we're here....but why??)
  • This is a BIG city.
  • People who stereo-type Houston as a "typical Southern city" are so wrong
  • Why is there terrible traffic at 9:30 on a Wednesday night?
  • What the heck is a bayou?
  • I still adore it.

No comments: