Well, blog-world, the time has come to let you in on a little secret: I'm currently deciding wether to move to Portland, Oregon or stay in Houston, Texas.
Of course, there are many, many details involved in what got me to this decision-point, but I'll just give you some of the highlights.
- I moved back to Houston in May 2009
- I had a lot of trouble finding a job. I wanted an administrative job.
- In late June I got an assistant teaching position.
- I decided (again) to pursue my alternative certification in teaching
- My job started in August
- I hated my job
- I was not too keen on my life overall, to be honest
- I decided teaching was not for me (I already kind of knew that)
- In September I started joking about moving to Portland
- In October I started seriously considering and praying about moving to Portland
- In November I visited Portland (I had been before) and tentatively decided to move there
- In December I quit my job (I know! This was VERY difficult)
- In January I am still deciding wether to actually make the move
So, that pretty much makes a long story short! However, I am still in the middle of this. I've given myself the deadline of next Monday (as in, January 11) to either get in the car and start driving to Portland or start looking for a job in dear, old Houston.
- No, I don't have a job in Portland yet, but I don't have a job in Houston either. Either way I'll be job-hunting.
- Yes, I have a place to live - a couple from the church I would like to attend in Portland rent out rooms to women from the church. The rent is very affordable.
- No, I don't know anyone up there. Not a soul.
- Yes, I have some money saved up. Not a lot, but some.
- If I don't find a job in Portland in 2-3 months, then I will move back to Houston.
- If I do find a job, I would like to live in Portland for at least a year, and then come back to Houston (unless a more appealing option arises :).
- I won't be able to bring Henry (my dog) to Portland until mid-March at the earliest
As you can imagine, this is not an easy decision. If you pray, please pray for direction in this decision and for the complete and full remission of any depression in my life.
Thank you! And now you're up-to-date!