Friday, December 26, 2008

San Francisco - the First Night

As graduation gifts to ourselves, AJ and I decided to take a trip to San Francisco. We were there for 5 nights and we had a great time. AJ had never been to California and I had only been to San Francisco once, very briefly.


We graduated on Friday, December 12, and we left for San Francisco that next Sunday. We got there around 4 in afternoon (Pacific time) and it was pretty cold and rainy. It was really rainy the first night.

We had pre-arranged transportation with Super Shuttle and that might have been the scariest part of the trip :) Those drivers are a little crazy, we were in San Francisco rush hour traffic, it was raining, and we had to drop off about 4 other people at their hotels. AJ and I were the last to be dropped off, so it took about an hour. That was ok though because we got to see San Francisco (through the foggy windows of a speeding van).


We were very hungry when we got to San Francisco, so after checking into our hotel, our first stop was dinner. Our hotel was in the Fisherman's Wharf area, which was a great location. It was just a short walk to the Boudin Sourdough Bakery, where we had clam chowder in bread bowls.


After dinner we went to Walgreen's to stock up on toiletries. We both took only carry-on bags on the plane so that we wouldn't have to pay the fee to check bags, but that meant we couldn't bring bottles of shampoo, etc. I noticed 2 funny things at this Walgreens: 1) Some of the items in the store were locked up! Certain brands of deoderant, shampoo, and medicines were locked in plastic cases. I guess they have problems with shop lifting those particular items. We bought stuff that wasn't locked up.

2) When we were checking out, the cashier asked us if we wanted to just put our stuff in our purses. In Texas, I'm use to having to tell the cashier that I don't need a bag because they automatically put everything in a bag, no matter how small it is. It was kind of neat to have the cashier suggest a way for us to avoid using a bag. I hate plastic bags.

After Walgreen's, we made our first of many trips to Ghirardelli Square :) We had a free chocolate sample and hot chocolate. It was wonderful.

The hot chocolate on top is AJ's and the one on bottom is mine. AJ and I drink hot beverages at much different speeds. I really like coffee, etc to be HOT, so I have to drink it before it has a chance to cool too much.

After Ghirardelli, we were ready for bed. On Pacific time, I was a morning person for the first time in my life! I enjoyed going to bed around 10:30 or so and getting up around 7 - not what I do on Central time.

So, that was the first night. It was so much fun that we were really looking forward to the rest of the week...

No comments: