Monday, July 28, 2008

Waco, Texas

I have a great aunt who lives in Waco and this past weekend my mom, my aunt, my uncle, and 2 of my cousins drove from Houston and AJ and I drove from Fort Worth to visit her in Waco. It was a great weekend! My cousin, Amy, went to Baylor University in Waco, so she had fun seeing the campus and all the old places she use to go. My mom's whole side of the family grew up going to Waco at least once a year to visit relatives, so it's familar to all of us. Uncle Mike is the newest member of the family, and he wasn't familiar with all the Waco traditions, but he was somewhat initiated this weekend.

We went to our favorite coffee place, Common Grounds, twice. We saw the Baylor bears, their live mascots. We ate at a hamburger place that my whole family loves - it's been there since at least the 1940's and my great-grandmother and grandparents all ate at it. We went to the Dr. Pepper museum just to go to the gift shop and get Dr. Pepper jelly beans. I try to never drink cokes, but while we were in Waco I had a Big Red and a Dr. Pepper :) The most fun thing we did in Waco was just talk to my great aunt and share fun family stories. So many of the stories I had heard countless times, but they're still fun to hear and we all still laugh at the same funny stories. I only have one grandparent left, so being around my great aunt was really a fun experience - it was neat to think that she really knew my grandfather and my great-grandparents. We watched some home videos from when I was a kid and that was a little emotional because it was when my great-grandmother, grandfather, and uncle were still alive (along with several other great aunts and uncles). It was neat, but sad to see them because of course we still miss them so much.

So, it was a fun weekend and I'm grateful for my family. Now it's back to reality in Fort Worth.

No comments: